Hawker Style Mee Rebus
- 1.5 kg Fresh Yellow Egg Noodles Blanched
- 200 grams Fresh Bean Sprouts Blanched
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 600 grams Sliced Beef Optional or Replace with prawn
- 400 grams Fresh Prawn Shelled and Deveined
- 500 grams Sweet Potato Boil until soft then puree
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts Roasted then crushed fine
- 2 Tbsp Meat Curry Powder I prefer Baba
- 1 Stalk Lemon Grass Bruised
- 2 Liters Water
- 1 Tbsp Palm Sugar Add 1 Tbsp more if Sweet Potato is not very sweet
Mee Rebus Paste
- 5 Red Shallots
- 1 Large White Onion
- 1 inch Fresh Root Ginger
- 1 inch Fresh Galangal
- 6 cloves Fresh Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Dried Baby Shrimp
- 2 Tbsp Fermented Soy Bean Paste
- 250 grams Tofu - Extra Firm 1 cm cubes and fried
- 8 Hard Boiled Eggs Halved
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Spring Onions Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Crisp Fried Shallots
- 8 Calamansi Limes Halved
- 4 Long Green Chili Finely Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Coriander Optional
- Boil sweet potato until soft. Let cool and then puree or pass through potato ricer. You are aiming for a very fine paste with no large lumps.
- Blanch Yellow Noodles, then Bean Sprouts and set aside.
- Roast the peanuts. Let cool and then crush in a pestle and mortar (or in a spice grinder)
- Cube the Tofu and fry in oil til golden brown, drain and set aside
- Hard boil the eggs, cool, shell and halve.
- Place all Mee Rebus Paste ingredients and 1/2 cup of water to a blender. Blend until you have a fine paste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan or wok. Once the oil is hot add the Mee Rebus Paste and the bruised Lemongrass. Fry the ingredients for 3-4 minutes, until thoroughly cooked and fragrant.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 5-10 minutes more.
- Add the sliced beef and remaining water. Season with salt and white pepper. Cook gently until the beef is tender.
- Add the fresh prawn and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the prawn is just cooked through (not too long or the prawn will become tough)
- Over a slow heat add the sweet potato puree and stir gently until it is thoroughly combined into a sauce like gravy
- Add crushed peanuts and palm sugar. Add more water if the sauce is too thick. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Latest posts by HolisticJB
- Mee Rebus – Malay Noodles - October 28, 2019
- Simply Superb Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe. - October 12, 2019
- Thai Holy Basil Chicken – Make Authentic Pad Kra Pao Gai - October 12, 2019