Malaysian Karipap Ayam
- 5 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Medium Red Onion Finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kurma Powder or Chicken Curry Powder
- 2 tsp Meat or Chicken Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Breast Finely diced
- 2 Large Potatoes Boiled and finely diced
- 1.5 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour 300 grams
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Margarine 56 grams
- 2/3 Cup Cold Water 160 ml
- Vegetable Oil For Frying
Make The Filling First
- Boil the potato until soft. Cool and dice. Then slice and dice the chicken breast.
- Heat the vegetable oil and gently fry the finely chopped onion until golden brown. Add the kurma powder, curry powder, chili, turmeric and fry until aromatic.
- Add the chicken, potatoes, sugar, pepper, salt and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Mix well and set aside to cool.
Make The Pastry
- To a large bowl add the all purpose flour, salt and margarine. Mix with a spatula and slowly add the cold water. Just a little at a time. Mix until you form a soft but not sticky dough. You may, or may not, need the full 2/3 cup of water.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured, work surface for 5-6 minutes until smooth.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place it back into the bowl. Cover it with a damp, not wet, cloth and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Place the rested dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out, until approx 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 4 inch diameter circles. Using a small plate or large mug can be a useful template. You can then knead the scraps back into a ball and roll again. You should be able to get 10-12 circles from your dough.
Assembling Your Karipap
- Place one of the circles of dough on your palm. Spread the dough flat and place a tablespoon of the cool filling in the center of the pastry.
- Carefully fold one side of the dough across to the other to form a semi circle. Seal the edges by pressing and folding back, so that you are pleating the edges of the semi circle together.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough and filling.
Latest posts by HolisticJB
- Mee Rebus – Malay Noodles - October 28, 2019
- Simply Superb Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe. - October 12, 2019
- Thai Holy Basil Chicken – Make Authentic Pad Kra Pao Gai - October 12, 2019