Sweet and sour chicken is fast becoming even more popular than its traditional pork cousin! And for good reason, it is a dish that you can serve quickly and easily, and it is delicious! It’s simplicity is a key factor for success. Simple fried chicken cubes that are coated in a crispy batter and then stir fried with a mouthwatering sweet and sour sauce.
- 8 oz. boneless and skinless chicken breast;
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing Chinese Rice wine (or Dry Sherry);
- 3 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and cut into strips;
- 1 small tomato, seeded and cut into wedges;
- 3 spring onions, cut into 2 inch lengths;
- Oil for deep frying
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (B);
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch (B);
- 1/2 cup water (B);
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (B);
- 4 tablespoons ketchup (S);
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (S);
- 2 teaspoon plum sauce (S);
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (S);
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese rice vinegar (S);
- 1/2 teaspoon Oyster sauce (S);
- 1 tablespoon sugar (S);
- 3 tablespoons water (S);
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (S);
- Pinch white pepper (S);
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-size cubes.
- Place the chicken into a small bowl and add the Rice Wine. Mix well and let marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- While the chicken marinades, Mix the Sweet and Sour sauce (ingredients S) in a small bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the Batter (Ingredients B). Sift the flour, cornstarch and baking powder into a bowl and add the water. Mix well.
- Add the chicken to the batter mixture.
- Heat up cooking oil in a wok. Once the oil is hot deep fry the chicken cubes. Don't overcrowd the oil, or it may cool down, better to cook the chicken in batches. Transfering the fried chicken onto a plate with paper towels will soak up the excess oil.
- Pour the oil into a bowl, leaving around 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok.
- Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the sliced green capsicum and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Take the sweet and sour sauce you prepared earlier and add it to the wok. Bring it to the boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the chicken pieces, tomatoes and chopped spring onion. Turn the ingredients so they are covered in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
(B) - Batter Ingredients
(S) - Sauce Ingredients
If you don't enjoy spicy food, you can replace the chili sauce with ketchup for your sweet and sour sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 413mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 9g Protein: 20g
Latest posts by HolisticJB
- Mee Rebus – Malay Noodles - October 28, 2019
- Simply Superb Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe. - October 12, 2019
- Thai Holy Basil Chicken – Make Authentic Pad Kra Pao Gai - October 12, 2019